Friday, April 18, 2008

Kari J of Lily W Designs is our featured artist today


Who are you?
Kari J. Lily W is a figment of my imagination.

Where are you located?
Iowa

What do you create?
Glass objects. I love making beads, but also enjoy fusing and slumping with different mold or found objects.

Are you able to support yourself with your creations?
Not yet!

Where do you sell your creations?
http://lilywdesigns.etsy.com/ . I also sell to friends and family through word of mouth. I'm looking to get into my first art show this summer.

Where do you create?
In my cave! My studio is in my basement.

What inspires you?
Anything and everything. I love looking at others' work and deconstructing it to see if I can replicate techniques. My ten year-old son gives me lots of suggestions and we experiment together.
What are your goals?
To sell enough to buy another, bigger kiln!

What do you friends and family think of your creations?
My husband was frightened at first. I'm not a graceful person by nature, so he panicked when I lit the torch in the house for the first time. Then when I told him I wanted a really hot oven, he cringed. He's since become my second biggest supporter (my 10 year-old being the first!). He was the one who offered to give up half of his basement for my studio and patiently looks at everything I show him. I have friends who are glass artists and they have been incredibly supportive. There's nothing like being able to call a glass artist friend in the middle of a glass crisis for advice.

What do you do when you are not creating?
I'm an Information Technology manager for a major insurance company. Quite a different world than my glass work.


Is there anything else you would like to share with us?

I got into glass because I needed a hobby and it was something that wasn't a complete and utter disaster. What I've found is that it is an amazing stress relief. When I have a bad day at work or life just becomes too much, firing the torch and melting glass or cutting and cracking it takes so much concentration you can't worry about the other things going on. If anyone is scared to try it, don't! It's not nearly as frightening as it seems.

No comments: