Monday, March 17, 2008

Today's featured artist is Brenda Phillips of Jewelsrule



Who are you?

I am Brenda Phillips. I have done crafts all my life from candle making, cake making, fly-tieing, knit, crochet, cross stitch, and now jewelry which gives me the biggest kick of all. I have sold by consignment and on the Internet most of the things I make.




Where are you located?

Salt Lake City, Utah






What do you create?


Earrings, doilies, knitted items, crochet items.





Are you able to support yourself with your creations?


Not yet. It’s a goal of mine though. Jewelry is very competitive and thankfully, I’m not dependent on my sales. This gives me the security and serenity to just create and create to my hearts content. I’m proud of what I dream up.






Where do you sell your creations?


http:// jewelsrule.etsy.com - best place so far


ksl.comcraigslist.com


going to get some consignments


going check into retail stores, too






Where do you create?


I have a kit that I take with me to my part-time job that is stocked with everything I need for that day to start producing earrings.I have a room set up where I do my thing. Also in my living room I make my jewelry there, too.






What inspires you?




Dark colors, dark wires (copper, gun metal), sterling, antique jewelry. What I see people wearing, pictures in books, jewelry making books and magazines. When I see something that really “gets” to me it makes me want to run home and get started creating. I don’t copy, I just get inspired by what I see. Metal inspires me the most rather than the stones I use. A pretty crystal will get the juices flowing.






What are your goals?




To sell my inventory so that I can fill up the space again. I like to have an outlet for my crafts because I love making things and don’t have lots of space for storage. Plus I get a kick out of selling something I have made; it’s a major compliment to have someone buy my designs.I want to branch out into metal working and making beads. Also interested in making buttons and badges with “kicky” or inspirational (not religeous) sayings on them.






What do you friends and family think of your creations?




I have had 100% encouragement to make more. My family and friends love to wear my jewelry. I have a few “billboards” walking around, i.e., friends that just wear my stuff and if someone notices, they tell them where to see my collection.






What do you do when you are not creating?


I am not one to just do one thing, i.e. watch TV. I knit or crochet when watching TV. When relaxing outside, I like to be busy with my crafts. Gardening is another big enjoyment in my life. I grow plants from seeds and starts, and plant them outside in my garden. There is a lot of satisfaction in doing that, too. I love to thrift shop for antique chains and necklaces to rework into something really nifty.



Is there anything else you would like to share with us?


I have consigned my candles, knitted and crochet items and that was what I was planning on doing with my jewelry, but I found etsy and a few other on-line sites where I can sell my loot and stay home. So consignment is on the back burner till I get the nerve to go out and demo my stuff.

No comments: