Friday, March 7, 2008

Today's featured artist is Rebecca Dixon






Who are you?

Rebecca Dixon, co-owner of Up from the Ashes


Where are you located?
Folsom, Pennsylvania


What do you create?

A little of everything! I make all sorts of wearable wings, leather masks, jewelry, I just taught myself to crochet. Really anything with three dimensions is fair game for me.





Are you able to support yourself with your creations?

I wish!!! Working really hard so someday I can be a full-time artist!



Where do you sell your creations?
And in the world's most charming store, Earth&State in Media, Pennsylvania http://earthandstate.com/



Where do you create?
I have a work room in my apartment that is jam-packed with fabric, wire, and every other kind of art supply you can imagine. I also took over the dining room table with my leather work, and the front porch houses my airbrush booth.



What inspires you?

Everything! Just open your eyes-inspiration is everywhere, you just have to be open to it.



What are your goals?

To one day be able to be a self-supporting artist. (World famous would be nice too!)



What do you friends and family think of your creations?

They don't understand, but try to be supportive. Which is nice than just telling me they all think I'm crazy.



What do you do when you are not creating?
Um, yeah...sleep? I am always working on something. I fall asleep watching movies unless my hands are busy.



Is there anything else you would like to share with us?

I have a BFA in painting/drawing and Sculpture and I make it a point to learn a new technique or skill every year, if not sooner. Last year was leather mask making, this year was crochet. I think I will try knitting next.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Those wings are amazing!