Monday, March 10, 2008

Today's featured artist is Laura of Chicken Pox Designs

Who are you?


My name's Laura, and I'm a 20-year-old student. I have a little craft shop on Etsy, Chicken Pox Designs.



Where are you located?


I live in Finland, Northern Europe.



What do you create?

I got a sewing machine as a graduation present a few years ago, and I've been sewing little things since then. I don't seem to have patience to make clothes, so I generally stick to pouches and bags, which are more fun to make! I'm also periodically into many other kinds of arts and crafts. I recently opened another shop to sell craft supplies.




Are you able to support yourself with your creations?
My craft business is more like a part time job and a great way to relax. Being a full time student doesn't leave me that much time to work but thanks to my Etsy shop, I don't have to clean hotel rooms any more!



Where do you sell your creations?


Mostly through my Etsy shop: http://chickenpox.etsy.com/. I also have a small shop on DaWanda: http://en.dawanda.com/ChickenPox. My shop for supplies is Mitten Crab Supplies: http://mittencrab.etsy.com/



Where do you create?


At home, in our one-bedroom apartment. On some days, my fabric boxes take over the whole living room.



What inspires you?


My grandmother passed away a year ago and I inherited some of her fabric stacks and sewing notions. Working with vintage materials with a history is really inspiring. I also enjoy any colourful and original fabrics I find in fabric shops and online. It's all about prettying up the everyday life.



What are your goals?


I wish I could one day use up all those stashes of fabrics that seem to accumulate constantly... I'm hoping to get stable sales and introduce Chicken Pox Designs to more people.



What do you friends and family think of your creations?


I think I got my love for crafts from my mum, so she's been really supportive. We had all kinds of crafts projects together when I was younger, from miniature moss forests to Christmas cards. Everyone's been really supportive of my business.



What do you do when you are not creating?


I study Fine Art, so I spend most of my time with artistic activities. I'm mostly into contemporary photography, and I've been reading a lot art theory lately. I also enjoy movies, music and of course crafts!

No comments: